terça-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2014

My 3 literary faves of 2014 - book version

I guess it's safe to say that this year was the best one ever in terms of reading since I came of age. Not only because I got through many stories, but also because I experienced many different things. I finally learned how to read poetry and got into non-fictional books; I read things I didn't want to but fell in love with them by the end, plus I did some great rereadings. Right now, I'm going through a reading slump, but I hope to keep all this excitement for literature during 2015.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my favorite readings for 2014 - no ranking, just the ones that gave me a lot to think about while I would drown in feels.


  • Bartleby, The Scrivener - A Story of Wall Street (Herman Melville)
In the beginning, it was only a college reading. Then, the plot started to become into something so much more than just a short story - it was disturbing me, a feeling that any good classic should provide to the reader. But seriously, what would you do if your work colleague stopped doing anything simply because he or she "would rather not to"?
At first, I was really annoyed with this Bartleby guy, only to slowly realize that this was not a joke, or laziness, or anything. It's all about... emptiness, and being imprisoned in your own home; it's also about empathy, and society's disdain for individual lives. It kind of reminded me of Kafka's "The Metamorphosis".
The story of Bartleby was stuck in my head for some days - during finals weeks, in fact! All I wanted to do was to place myself in the middle of the campus and scream "I WOULD RATHER NOT TO".

  • High Fidelity (Nick Hornby)
This book is great if you're looking for a reality shock - that is, if you're someone who's been living in a somewhat privileged social position. The protagonist is Rob, a guy in his thirties who basically lives in permanent adolescence. His relationships - all of them, not only the romantic ones - are usually a huge fail because he can't care enough about other people. All he worries about is himself. Do you think he has any clue of that? Ha.
One day, though, he finally decides to find out what is wrong with his traumatic experiences with women, and some enlightenment is shone on his brain. It's a light, funny reading, but there's this more serious side which I really enjoyed, and I'm even planning on picking this book again next month, one year after my first read. Oh, and let me also recommend the movie, which is an awesome adaptation, and has a great soundtrack!

  • A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (George R. R. Martin)
Another one which I plan on rereading soon. If you don't recognize this title, it's usually referred to as "Tales of Dunk and Egg" - those short stories that take place 90 years before the events of "A Game of Thrones". A time in which Targaryens still own the Iron Throne - in fact, there are too many Targaryens running around the continent. One of them, Aegon "Egg", becomes the squire of a simple man named Dunk.
Even though he says he's a knight, this guy has almost no experience with a sword and no future expectations whatsoever. Dunk is practically lost in a very dangerous land, and usually gets in trouble for being so innocent. His connection with a royal child is very important in some situations, but it doesn't guarantee a good ending.
Speaking of bad consequences, I was devastated and had tearing eyes by the end of the damn first story. I definitely recommend all three of them for any ASOIAF book fan. And I'm already eager for the fourth one - though I do prefer that our dear GRRM finish the oficial series soon...

Well, I wanted to talk about other readings, but then this post would be around 10 pages long... do check my Goodreads page for more recommendations; and if you like fanfictions, stay tuned for part two!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário