sexta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2014

My 3 literary faves of 2014 - fanfiction version

I love fanfictions. I started reading them on a very early age - I guess the first one I got was a Card Captor Sakura one. But it was the Harry Potter fandom that made me love it; though these days I don't vary in these readings as much as I used to do. You'll see that, in the list below, there are only BBC Sherlock angst stories, having Sherlock and John as a romantic couple, cause that's like 85% of all fics I read this year. I'm thinking about diversifying more in 2015; anyway, these fics I selected are great ones nonetheless, and I must say I'd really like to have more people to talk about them... 

Cover by consultingpiskies
I'm a sucker for Potter!lock, and this trilogy was one of the first ones I read. I don't see it being mentioned that much; at least, not as much as other fics of this theme. Which is a pity, because these stories are really awesome. First of all, the initial idea is great: it's funny to see John trying to hide his magic, and Sherlock eventually having to deal with its existence. I also love that it's not set in Hogwarts, what happens, like, 99% of the times? And the structure of mixing past, present and future makes the story even more exciting. I don't like giving too much away, so I'll just finish by saying that I recommend these fics a damn lot.

  • Aparecium (1electricpirate) - "There’s no way anyone will know, no way for even Sherlock Holmes to deduce that today, just this once, John sat back and let the tea make itself."
MORE Potter!lock?? Hell yeah.
Yes, it's by the same author- in fact, it's an AU of the AU. 1electricpirate managed to create a story slightly based on another fic of her own and, in my opinion, it got even better. The premise is the same, but the plot, the character's back stories, and even the  are all different. And still the story manages to be faithful to both books and series. Again I'm not talking much to avoid spoilers, but if you are a fan of this kind of Sherlock fanfic, do not miss the opportunity. It's a great work and it's already on my list of all time favorite. However, I should point out that it's incomplete, a fact that's killing me slowly...

Cover by moonblossom
Didn't your heart break just by reading this summary? Mine did. It was definitely the fic that's affected me the most during this year. The interaction between the two of them is awesomely written, and the themes it brings up - old age, youth, friedship, death, etc. - are treated in such a way that you enjoy the story with butterflies in the stomach both for happiness for the guys and fear for what it definitely coming. This fic has a great, exciting, and sad story, and raises many deep thoughts about life - well, at least it was for me. I won't say much more, only that I cried to sleep after finishing it...
So, if you are into angst, I'd say this is a must-read!

I want to read more fanfiction in 2015, so I'd love to hear some good recommendations from you! As you can see, I love Sherlock, but also A Song of Ice and Fire, Doctor Who, xxxHolic, Orphan Black, etc. My AO3 page is here. I'd also love to have some ideas and tips for me to write my own stories...

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário