terça-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2015

Telltale's Game of Thrones: The Lost Lords

I didn't expect to write anything about the Telltale series for Game of Thrones since I've already done it, but the second episode, The Lost Lords, got me really hooked. I'd say I'm more excited about this franchise than with the TV show! The game creates an atmosphere of tension and fear that suits this world perfectly; and now I feel way more connected to house Forrester, specially after all these terrible things they are being forced to face.



The aspect I like the most is that we get to play with these new characters while having the original ones from the books and show in supporting roles. It's awesome to interact with them, and to see those people we know so well through different perspectives. I personally loved to watch how Tyrion can be both friendly and fearsome - he offers you help, but only if it is useful for him too. Plus, he won't move a finger if anything happens to you after this deal. It's a side of him that only-show people never get to know. We also meet Jon Snow for the first time in a distant, higher position, and I thought it was pretty cool. Finally, if I already liked Margaery before, I'm even more enthusiastic about her now (plus, Natalie Dormer is awesome even in pixels). 

About the story itself, I thought that we are in a well-paced development. I saw that many people thought it to be a bit slow, but we are in a situation in which the priority is to make connection and finding allies, so physical action is obviously limited. In fact, one thing I'm loving about this series is that there is no focus in fights nor mindblowing scenarios, but in the development of the characters in this tense world, where anybody can make you fall. This is what the A Song of Ice and Fire saga is about, and the Telltale crew got it just right.


Another important thing is that we have some great approach of women; Mira is the only playable female character and her story arc is as important as all the others (it's my favorite, by far). Lady Forrester and Talia are also very cunning and have their own parts to perform; and I love to see, even if briefly, all the work Margaery is already doing as future queen. The only one I didn't get to appreciate as much is Bershka, but we barely know her; I hope she'll have a nice  in the future. It's sad to say that but still: I'm really glad that her outfit is not oversexualized as it usually happen to women warriors in media (like the show will do with the Sand Snakes). 

I confirmed how bad I am in playing the game of thrones - I myself led the Forresters to an awful situation. I know that the plot is fixed and the choices that actually change something are just a handful - but damn it, not even the marriage I was able to secure! I'm already feeling that some of the choices I made in episode 1 (eg. the Sentinel) are going to make things even more difficult for me in the next episodes. And those who are complaining about the lack of different endings: the game of thrones is something quite subtle, the consequences are about to come. In this episode we already had some small but meaningful varieties in the last sequences.

My choices
Something I consider to be annoying in this series so far? The damn graphics. They look like as if it was a game for Dreamcast or PS2. This can get really uncomfortable in some action scenes, but what pisses me off the most about it is that the expression in the characters faces are too limited.

The awesome dubbing work kind of saves it though; seriously, I'm truly impressed by how the voices fit perfectly in each character, never failing to play with their actions and emotions. I'm not a fan of Kit Harrington (I prefer the Jon Snow I had before the show thanks), but even I got excited on the few times he was on screen! I hope this is a sign Harrington is really getting better at acting. Not happy with oncoming Dany presence though; I'm sorry, but Emilia Clarke's performance on the show is only getting worse and I wished her character would not be in the game series at all.


I am so excited for the next episodes! I guess that what really makes me so happy is that it really feels like a Game of Thrones episode - the difference is that there's no sign of D. Weiss and David Benioff's work, so it's even better! Add this to the fact that you are in it, choosing what to say, the replies to do and the actions to take... you feel a part of this awesome story without being in actual mortal danger which is cool. I hope we get to see more original characters, and that the Purple Wedding is handled nicely; I also do hope that the title of the last episode, The Ice Dragon, actually means that we're to see some really great things.

To finish, here are two great reviews about this episode I recommend a lot: one by Winter is Coming and another by Bleeding Cool.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário